When it comes to weight loss, diet plays a crucial role. To choose a particular diet, there are various options like Mediterranean, Keto, Intermittent fasting to name a few. Of course, what suits best to one's body should be adopted. Some diets could be very restrictive and fancy making it difficult for it to be followed. However, there is a slow-carb diet which can help in weight loss and it can be brought to practice easily. In the below article, we will discuss a slow-carb diet which basically includes low glycemic index foods. Intermittent Fasting Suitable For All? Dos & Don'ts For This Popular Weight Loss Diet.
What is Slow-Carb Diet?
A 'slow-carb' diet mostly consists of foods with a low glycemic index which might help in balancing blood-sugar levels and eat less while still feeling full. Basically, this diet says to eat foods high in good carbohydrates and low in bad ones. The good carbs are vegetables and whole grains while the bad ones are like chocolate chip cookies, pizzas or any other junk food. Lean proteins and healthy fats should also be part of this diet. Foods low in glycemic index value (i.e. less than 55) helps to keep the body full for a longer time and thereby avoid over-eating. What Is Mediterranean Diet? Important Tips and Diet Plan for Beginners.
Guidelines For Slow-Carb Diet
1. In slow-carb diet, you are allowed to eat only from selected food items for six consecutive days. The slow-carb diet mainly includes five main food groups-animal protein, vegetables, legumes, fats and spices. In this diet, you can eat only four meals a day on dieting days, where the first three food groups can be eaten in maximum quantity, while the last two in small amounts.
2. White carbohydrates like pasta, bread and cereals made from white flour should be completely avoided.
3. Eat the same meal over and over again, especially for breakfast and lunch.
4. This diet tells you to drink maximum water throughout the day, while beverages that provide no nutritional value should be completely avoided. Also, slow-carb diet states to obtain nutrition from food rather than any drink.
5. The slow-carb diet allows you to cheat once in a week, i.e. on the seventh day after following the diet for six consecutive days. On this day, none of the rules should be followed and you can eat whatever you want, however not in excess.
The slow-carb diet claims to help weight loss by increasing the breakdown of fats and boosting feelings of fullness. In this diet, you could eat egg whites, chicken breast for protein. Vegetables like spinach, broccoli, asparagus should be incorporated into this diet. While for fat ghee, olive oil and nuts such as almond can be taken. To add spiciness to your food garlic salt and herbs can be used. It is recommended to consult your dietitian before opting for slow-carb diet. Also for weight loss and fat loss, some physical exercises should also be performed on a regular basis.
(This article is written for an informative purpose and should not be substituted for medical advice. Kindly consult your doctor before trying any tips.)