Beirut, Aug 6 (AP) Lebanon's state-run news agency says 16 employees at Beirut's port have been detained over this weeks explosion that killed more than 100 people and wounded thousands.

The National News Agency quoted Government Commissioner to the Military Court Judge Fadi Akiki as saying on Thursday that 18 people have been questioned so far. All of them are port and customs officials, as well as individuals in charge of maintenance at the hangar where 2,750 tons of explosive materials have been stored for years.

Also Read | Sri Lanka General Elections Results 2020: Mahinda Rajapaksa Thanks PM Narendra Modi For Congratulatory Phone Call Over SLPP's Likely Win.

Akiki said that the investigation began shortly after the blast occurred on Tuesday evening and will continue to cover all suspects in the explosion. (AP)

(The above story is verified and authored by Press Trust of India (PTI) staff. PTI, India’s premier news agency, employs more than 400 journalists and 500 stringers to cover almost every district and small town in India.. The views appearing in the above post do not reflect the opinions of LatestLY)