Team India registered a thumping victory against Pakistan by 9 wickets at the Asia Cup 2018. What Dubai International Stadium witnessed was an amazing game of cricket between the two arch-rivals in the Super Four round. After winning the toss, Pakistan opted to bat first and scored 237 runs by losing seven wickets. Jasprit Bumrah, Yuzvendra Chahal and Kuldeep Yadav got two wickets each. Then came the fireworks from Indian captain Rohit Sharma and Shikhar Dhawan with 111 and 114 runs respectively. Check out the video highlights of the match here.
With India winning the match comprehensively and sealed the spot in the finals of the flagship tournament of Asia, the contest witnessed quite too many records being broken. Check out a few stats below:
- To start off with, this was India’s by far the most comprehensive victory against Pakistan. In the past, India has beaten Pakistan by 8 wickets.
- Shikhar Dhawan and Rohit Sharma brought in the highest opening partnership in the ODIs for India. The two broke the 10-year record made of 201 run stands made by Virender Sehwag and Gautam Gambhir against New Zealand in Hamilton, 2009.
- Dhawan and Sharma made the highest opening partnership against Pakistan in ODIs. Sourav Ganguly and Sachin Tendulkar held the previous record of 159 runs.
- This was the 13th time that Dhawan and Sharma made century partnerships. Sachin Tendulkar and Sourav Ganguly have 21-century partnerships.
- This is only the third time that team India got a couple of batsmen scoring centuries against Pakistan. Sachin Tendulkar and Navjyot Singh Sindhu in 1996, Virender Sehwag and Rahul Dravid in 2005 were the ones to score 100s in one match.
- With 13 hundred plus partnerships, Rohit Sharma and Shikhar Dhawan are now featured on spot four for getting most century partnerships in ODIs. Sachin and Ganguly have 21, Adam Gilchrist and Mathew Hayden have 16 and Gordon Greenidge and Desmond Haynes have 15-century partnerships.
- Rohit Sharma became the fourth- quickest player to get 19 ODI centuries in 181 innings. Also, he becomes the fifth-fastest batsman to score 7000 runs in ODI in terms of innings. He is behind Hashim Amla, Virat Kohli, AB de Villers and Ganguly.
- By sending Imam-ul-Haq and Asif Ali to the pavilion, Yuzvendra Chahal became the second quickest India spinner to get 50 wickets. Kuldeep Yadav holds the record which was attained in 24 matches.
- Yuzvendra Chahal is the fifth-quickest Indian to 50 ODI wickets. Ajit Agarkar holds the record by achieving the feat in 23 matches.
- This is the seventh time that Shikhar Dhawan a century during big ODI tournaments (World Cup, Champions Trophy and Asia Cup). Sanath Jayasuriya, Kumar Sangakkara got 10 centuries in crucial tournaments. Sachin Tendulkar got 9 centuries in ODIs, Sourav Ganguly got 8.
- The Asia Cup has witnessed only seven double century partnerships so far. Dhawan/Rohit are the third Indian pair to do this.
- India stand-in skipper Rohit Sharma hits 300 international sixes and becomes the second Indian after MS Dhoni to do so.
After winning the match, Rohit Sharma was obviously delighted with the blistering performance put up by the team. However, he even lauded the Pakistani bowlers and said that they did a fine job. Shikhar Dhawan walked away with the Man of the Match award for his terrific knock of 114 runs.