Sydney, Apr 14 (AFP) A shooting in the Australian city of Melbourne early Sunday has left "multiple" victims, police said, but local media reported that there were no fatalities.

"Investigators believe multiple people were shot outside a nightclub near Little Chapel Street and Malvern Road about 3:20 am," the Victoria Police said in a statement.

It did not give any more details including the condition of the victims, but said the shooting occurred in Melbourne's Prahran district.

Local media said there were three or four victims.

"The exact circumstances are still being established," police said.

Mass shootings are rare in Australia, which has strict gun laws introduced after 35 people were killed in 1996 at Port Arthur in Tasmania.

A murder-suicide last year which left seven members of a family dead in WesternAustralia was the country's worst mass shooting since the Port Arthur case. (AFP)

(The above story is verified and authored by Press Trust of India (PTI) staff. PTI, India’s premier news agency, employs more than 400 journalists and 500 stringers to cover almost every district and small town in India.. The views appearing in the above post do not reflect the opinions of LatestLY)