26th of November, every year is celebrated as the National Milk Day. Milk, a staple 'complete food' that we are blessed with in our lives in itself is a commodity to celebrate. However, it is also the story of behind the milk revolution in our country that is very interesting and an achievement that our country is proud of. Back in time milk wasn't such an easy commodity as it is now, if it was not for Dr Verghese Kurien. Also known as the Father of India's White Revolution helped become milk-sufficient. The milk we have today is indigenous but back when our country became independent; our already poor country had to import milk to meet our dairy needs. The milkman of India, Dr Verghese Kurien helped India become the world's largest agricultural dairy development programme. Nover 26th- Dr Verghese Kurien's birthday is celebrated as National Milk Day to commemorate his contribution to India's development. Who is Dr Verghese Kurian? Father of The White Revolution, Who Took India From Milk Deficiency to Sufficiency.
However, while milk has a lot of health benefits for people who are lactose intolerant or vegan usually avoid having dairy products. Some people opt for a dairy-free diet and look for milk alternatives that are healthier. Here are a few such substitutes of dairy milk that are very healthy and are also becoming very popular.
- Almond Milk- People opting for plant-based almond milk is one of the best alternatives they can choose for. They are a great source of calcium and also contain essential minerals such as iron and magnesium.
- Coconut Milk- This plant-based source of good fat, significant vitamins and minerals can act as an excellent alternative to milk. Coconut milk has a thick, creamy texture and also tastes great.
- Rice Milk- Rice milk has become very popular these days. Rich in B vitamins and minerals such as selenium and manganese, Rice Milk is an excellent option if you want to ditch dairy milk.
- Cashew Milk- The texture of cashew milk is amazing, and a little goes a long way. Amazing source of good fats and plant-based proteins, cashew is also rich in minerals like potassium and magnesium.
- Soy Milk- A great source of protein Soy milk has an amazing texture to be used as a substitute for animal milk. The protein found in Soy milk is high quality 'complete' protein.
- Quinoa Milk- Quinoa is one of the most popular superfoods, and its milk is also gaining popularity these days. High in nutrition, the milk is rich in high-quality protein and is gluten-free as well.
Take a look at this video-
If you are planning to switch to a plant-based diet or are lactose intolerant, you might want to try the healthy alternative of animal milk.