New Delhi, March 28: The last date to link the 12-digit biometric Aadhaar number with the Permanent Account Number (PAN) is just around the corner. Individuals are required to link the two identity proofs by 31st March, 2019 to avoid repercussions. Earlier, the deadline to link the two documents was June 30, 2018. However, in July 2018, the CBDT had extended the deadline for the PAN-Aadhaar linking to 31st March 2019. This is the fifth time the government has extended the deadline for individuals to link their Permanent Account Number (PAN) to their biometric ID (Aadhaar). How to Link Aadhaar Card to PAN Card in Easy Steps Before March 31.
The linking of Aadhaar and PAN has been mandatory by the government for filing income tax returns (ITRs) as well as obtaining a new PAN. According to the Income Tax department, individuals whose PAN is not linked with Aadhaar would not be able to file IT returns (ITR) and would also face the risk cancellation of their PAN numbers from 1st April, 2019. UIDAI Introduces Virtual Identification Mechanism in Place of Aadhar Number to Strengthen People's Privacy
Here's How You Can Link Your Aadhaar to PAN Online:
- Individuals will have to visit the official website of the Income Tax Department incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in to link the two documents.
- Got to 'Link Aadhaar' Option on the left side of the website and then enter your PAN and Aadhaar number in the form.
- In case only your birth year is mentioned on your Aadhaar card, you may tick the option provided.
- An individual is required to enter the captcha code mentioned in the image for verification and then click on the “Link Aadhaar" button.
- Soon after the details are filled, a pop-up message will appear that your Aadhaar will be successfully linked with your PAN.
Link Aadhaar and PAN using SMS:
- To avail this option, an individual's number should be registered with Aadhaat.
- Type the message UIDPAN<12 Digit Aadhaar> <10 Digit PAN> and send the message to either 567678 or 56161 from your registered mobile number.
- For example, if your Aadhaar number is 546738291083 and your PAN is EFGH11234M, you have to type UIDPAN 546738291083 EFGH11234M and send the message to either 567678 or 56161
Once the Aadhaar is linked with PAN, which in turn is linked with the bank account, the IT department can trace the spending pattern and other details of an individual. It must be noted that the name of the applicant should be the same on both- the PAN card and the Aadhaar card. Aadhaar For Children.
In case there is some spelling mismatch, your will be unable to link Aadhaar with PAN. An individual will have to get the name corrected for the linking to happen. Moreover, linking PAN with Aadhaar will help in tackling the problem of multiple PAN cards issued under the same name.
Take a Look at the Video:
In September 2018, the Supreme Court had declared the Centre's flagship Aadhaar scheme constitutionally valid. A five-judge constitution bench of the Apex Court had pronounced that it would not be mandatory to link Aadhaar to bank accounts, and telecom service providers cannot seek its linking for mobile connections. The earlier deadlines for linking the two databases in 2018 were July 31, August 31 and December 31, 2017, March 31 and June 30 and was later fixed to 31st March 2019.