Nirbhaya Gangrape Case Timeline: SC Upholds Death For Convicts; Here's All That Has Happened In The Case Since December 16, 2012
Nirbhaya's parents Badri Nath Singh and Asha Devi. (Photo Credits: PTI)

The Supreme Court is set to pronounce its verdict on the review pleas of three convicts in the December 2012 Nirbhaya gangrape case today. The court will decide on the death sentence awarded to the rapists and murderers of a 23-year-old medical intern. The brutal gangrape and murder of the 23-year-old in Delhi had left the entire nation in a state of shock in 2012. It also triggered a mass movement across the nation, uniting men and women alike to come together and stand up against cases of sexual violence against women.

While all convicts in the case were awarded death sentence in the case except for one juvenile, the Supreme Court is set to decide on the review pleas filed by the convicts. Here’s a look at all that has transpired in the case since the night of December 16, 2012:


December 16

Nirbhaya, a 23-year-old physiotherapy intern in Delhi, is brutally gangraped by six men (including a 17-year-old juvenile), in a moving bus.

December 17

Police arrests the main accused Ram Singh.

December 19

Along with Ram Singh, the three other accused Mukesh, Vinay Sharma and Pawan Gupta are also presented in the Saket court.

December 20

People gather at Jantar Mantar in Delhi for a mass demonstration demanding justice for Nirbhaya.

December 22

Nirbhaya’s condition improves and her statement is recorded by the police.

December 24

Two other accused, Akshay Thakur and Raju are also presented in the court. All the six accused are granted bail by the Patiala House Court.

December 26

Nirbhaya is moved to a Singapore hospital for treatment.

December 29

Nirbhaya succumbs to injuries in the hospital in Singapore.


January 13

A chargesheet is filed against five accused in the case.

January 28

The sixth accused, Raju, is found to be juvenile and his case is taken to the Juvenile Justice Board.

March 11

Ram Singh, the main accused in the case commits suicide in the Tihar jail.

March 21

The anti-rape law is passed in the Rajya Sabha which has provisions for death sentence of a rape accused.

August 31

The juvenile justice board finds the accused guilty of rape and murder, and sends him to special home for three years.

September 13

A death sentence is pronounced for the four accused - Vinay Sharma, Mukesh, Pawan Gupta and Akshay Thakur, by Additional Sessions Judge Yogesh Khanna.

October 7

Vinay Sharma and Akshay Thakur appeal in the High court against the death sentence.


March 13

The Delhi High Court Bench of Justices Reva Khetrapal and Pratibha Rani upholds the trial Court verdict.

July 2

Vinajy Sharma and Akshay Thakur appeal in the Supreme Court.

July 14

The Supreme Court stays execution of all the four accused.


December 18

Delhi High Court refuses to stay release of the minor accused, Raju. He is released from the correctional home on completion of three years.


April 3

Hearings begin in the Supreme Court. Justices Dipak Misra, V Gopala Gowda and Kurian Joseph hear the case.

April 8

The Supreme Court appoints senior advocates Raju Ramachandran and Sanjay Hegde appointed amicus curiae.


February 3

Supreme Court agrees to hear afresh the aspect of awarding death penalty to the convicts.

March 27

The Supreme Court reserves verdict on the convicts' appeal.

May 5

The Supreme Court upholds the death sentence awarded to the four convicts.


May 4

The Supreme Court reserves its order on the review petitions filed by the convicts– Pawan, Vinay and Mukesh.

July 9

The three-judge bench headed by Chief justice pronounced its verdict upholding the death sentence for the convicts Mukesh, Pawan Gupta and Vinay Sharma.

The case collectively shook the nation’s conscience and people gathered together like never before to protest against sexual violence. It also led to the passing of the Nirbhaya Act which made provisions for a death sentence in cases of sexual violence. However, many rape and harassment cases have been reported post Nirbhaya and the lack of stringent laws against sexual violence is a major reason why such crimes don't seem to cease in the country.