Bengaluru, November 2: All shops, commercial establishments, eateries and the multiplexes in Karnataka will have to compulsorily display information on their nameplates in Kannada to avoid cancellation of their licences. Reports inform that, from November 1, if owners fail to display information on their boards in the local Kannada language, they will be at a risk of losing their trade licences. According to a tweet by ANI, Hubli-Dharwad Municipal Corporation Commissioner Suresh Itnal said, owners of establishments will be given notices if they do not exhibit information on their boards in Kannada. "In 2018 a government order was passed that all shops & establishments should compulsorily exhibit their boards in Kannada. In coming days, we will try to implement this by giving individual notices to them", Itnal said.
According to a report by the Indian Express, Bengaluru Mayor, M Gowtham Kumar had said that the boards are allowed to have 40percent English, while the remaining should be in Kannada. "If they do not do this from November 1, we will cancel their licences", Gowtham had said in October this year. The report further informs that the order is based on the Sarojini Mahishi report, which says that all nameplates should have Kannada covering 60% of the nameplate, while the rest 40% can be in any other language. Karnataka Day 2019: Know History and Significance of Karnataka Rajyotsava Which Commemorates the Formation of Karnataka.
Here's the tweet:
Hubli-Dharwad Municipal Corporation Commissioner Suresh Itnal: In 2018 a government order was passed that all shops & establishments should compulsorily exhibit their boards in Kannada. In coming days, we will try to implement this by giving individual notices to them. #Karnataka pic.twitter.com/ZRy2d2uYZO
— ANI (@ANI) November 2, 2019
In Karnataka, the Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP) plans to implement the Karnataka Shops and Commercial Establishments Act, 1961 (Rule 24-A). The rule states that the nameplates of every establishment shall be in Kannada and if any other language is used, it should be below the version.
In 2018, the Kannada Development Authority (KDA) had conducted a meeting with the BBMP officials and had directed the officials to cancel the license of the shops that do not have 60 per cent of the nameplates in the state language. However, reports revealed that the move was not effectively implemented.