Whenever we think about weight loss, the first thing that comes to our mind is reducing carb intake to a minimum. We hear many times people telling us to stop eating carbs if we want to lose weight, well, it's just a myth. There are also diets like keto, popularly trending these days, which tell us to increase the intake of fat and reduce carb consumption to a minimum. But it is essential to know that carbohydrate is one of the vital macronutrients. There are numerous health benefits associated with it. Now we have heard that carbs enable weight gain, but can you lose weight by eating carbs and which carbohydrate foods are good for health? Is Going for Vegan Diet Healthy?: Pros and Cons of Veganism.
One can even cut down on weight by consuming carbs, provided you take it correctly and eat the right one. We must not forget that carbs work as essential fuel for providing energy to do a task. People even do carb loading 24-48 hours before an intense workout lasting more than 90 mins. Consumption of carbohydrate-enriched food also helps in developing our cognitive function. Pros and Cons of Keto Diet: Brief Overview of Low Carb High Fat Ketogenic Food.
Which Carbohydrate foods are good for health?
1. Barley: It is considered as one of the oldest super-food, and it helps in regulating the appetite and metabolism.
2. Pulses: You can avoid overeating by regular consumption of pulses like chickpea, beans and lentils. Our total calorie intake matters a lot, and if you end up eating in high quantity, then you will tend to put on weight.
3. Pears: This fruit contains 6 gm of fibre, which is a lot more than any other stuff. According to a study published in the Annals of Internal Medicine, if you eat 30 gm of fibre every day, then you will be losing a total of 2 kilos in one year.
4. Popcorn: One of the favourite munching snack while watching movies contains a lot of fibre with few calories, it keeps you full, which helps in weight loss, sans the butter and cheese, of course.
5. Black Beans: Suitable for people who are suffering from constipation as it is rich in soluble fibre. Black Beans also reduces the deep visceral fat, which surrounds your vital organs and is prone to increase chances of heart disease and diabetes.
6. Sweet Potato: These are fat-free and have fewer calories when compared to regular white potatoes. Sweet potatoes increase the level of adiponectin, which is a hormone that regulates the blood sugar level and keeps a check on the rate of metabolism.
Whether carbs help in weight loss or not, it doesn't matter much, what matters is the amount of food you eat in total. You should decide on the portion of your food after consulting with your dietitian and restricting your calories accordingly. All three macronutrients - carbs, proteins and fats are necessary for your body, but one should know how to balance the intake. As of now you could try including the carbs as mentioned above in your diet and help yourself in achieving a fruitful result.
(This article is written for an informative purpose and should not be substituted for medical advice. Kindly consult your doctor before trying any tips.)