'Kashmir Valley Restrictions to be Removed Over Next Few Days,' Centre Tells Supreme Court; Schools, Colleges to Re-open on Monday
Representational Image (Photo Credits: IANS)

New Delhi, August 16: The Central government on Friday told the Supreme Court that the restrictions in Kashmir would be removed over the next few days. The government was responding to a petition filed in the apex court seeking an immediate lifting of the restrictions on the media in the Kashmir Valley. Solicitor General Tushar Mehta said, "Security agencies are taking daily stock of the situation. We know the ground reality." The next hearing in the matter will take place next week. Article 370: Jammu Completely Freed of Restrictions, Curbs to Remain in Kashmir, Says ADGP Munir Khan.

The petition was filed on Saturday by Anuradha Bhasin, Executive Editor of Kashmir Times. Bhasin had sought directions for the restoration of all modes of communication, including mobile internet and landline services, throughout the state in order to provide an enabling environment for the media to practise its profession. Meanwhile, schools and colleges in the Valley will re-open on Monday. Jammu and Kashmir Governor, Satya Pal Malik also directed Civil Secretariat Srinagar and government offices to resume normal functioning from today. Jammu and Kashmir: Restrictions Eased Out in Phased Manner to Prevent Deaths, Says Government.

Earlier on Tuesday, the top court refused to direct the Central government to lift restrictions. A bench headed by Justice Arun Mishra was hearing a petition filed by political activist Tehseen Poonawalla. The bench, comprising judges M.R. Shah and Ajay Rastogi, said that it would wait for normalcy to return.

There has been lockdown in the Kashmir Valley since August 5, the day when the Narendra Modi scrapped the special status of Jammu and Kashmir by revoking provisions of Article 370. Meanwhile, on Wednesday, the administration had removed all restrictions in the Jammu region of the state. Phone lines, both mobile and broadband, were resumed and a curfew was completely withdrawn.