Living worms inside a 5-month-old baby's eye! The thought itself is enough to leave your skin squirming. The baby's eye was harbouring about eleven live worms that the 5-month old caught from a neighbours pet. The name of the baby was Dong Dong who was rushed to the hospital after his/her mother realised that the baby was having discomfort in his/her eye. However, in no time the doctors noticed so many worms lingering on the surface of the little one's eyeball. The doctors also found some worms inside the baby's eyelid. Shocking! Worms Frozen For 42000 Years in Siberia Comes Back to Life.
Take a look at the video of worms slithering in the eye of the baby. (The video contains graphic content, viewers' discretion is advised.)
What infection was the baby suffering from?
The shocking incident must have left the baby's parents horrified, however, you must be wondering how this infection occurred and how was it possible for 11 worms that were alive to survive in the baby's eyes? The infection contracted by the baby is reportedly called roundworm infection that caused a nematode infection. The worms that infected the little one's eyes is claimed to be called Thelazia callipaeda that covered the little one's eyelids and eyeballs. This infection in past was known to infect the dogs' eyes and still exist. Roundworm infection is quite common among the dogs in Asia and Europe.
A 2012 study published in the Parasit Vectors journal says that such infections are usually induced by infective elements ingested by the animals. The study says, 'Once infective elements are ingested, larvae penetrate the gut wall and reach the bloodstream wandering throughout the body, i.e. eyes, heart, muscles, brain, lungs, liver. Thereby, larvae do not molt nor reach adulthood but, however, induce severe local reactions and damage, which may lead to different syndromes