Bengaluru, July 17: Karnataka minister R Ashoka on Friday said that the COVID-19 lockdown will not be extended further in Bengaluru. While commenting on the COVID-19 lockdown extension R Ashoka said, "We have taken expert opinion, and the lockdown will not be extended. It will end on July 22." Also Read | Community Spread in Coastal Thiruvananthapuram, Total Lockdown From Tomorrow, Says Kerala CM: Live News Breaking and Coronavirus Updates on July 17, 2020.
Earlier today, Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP) Mayor, M Goutham Kumar called for an extension of lockdown in the city for one more week due to rise in the COVID-19 cases. "It will be better if we get more time to tackle COVID-19 cases. We wish for the extension of lockdown for one more week."
"We have given the proposal to the government," said Kumar. Lockdown had been imposed in the city for seven days with effect from 8 pm on July 14 till 5 am on July 22 to curb the further spread of COVID-19. Also Read | UN ECOSOC 2020: 'One of The Best Recovery Rate, Assistance to Over 150 Nations', PM Narendra Modi Highlights India's Role in COVID-19 Fight.
As many as 3,693 new COVID-19 positive cases and 115 deaths have been reported in Karnataka on Friday, the State Health Department said. The total number of COVID-19 cases in the state now stands at 55,115 including 33,205 active cases. While there are 20,757 recoveries, the death toll stands at 1,147.
(This is an unedited and auto-generated story from Syndicated News feed, LatestLY Staff may not have modified or edited the content body)