One of the worst kind of pain a woman faces, apart from childbirth, are period cramps. The inevitable pain that women (at least most of them) go through every month from the time they hit puberty. For some it may be mild while for some it may be quite severe, and it can hinder their daily routine. The medical term for severe menstrual cramps and painful periods is called dysmenorrhea. No matter how common they may be and more than half of them experience it, there are certain habits like foods and activities can aggravate the pain. Read on to know what mistakes you are making and stop making them right away.
Five Mistakes to Avoid Period Cramps
1. Wrong Foods: Food items high in salt content increases water retention which in turn causes bloating which causes painful period cramps. On the other hand, fatty foods increase prostaglandin production. Prostaglandins are chemicals that cause the uterus to contract. More contractions equal more period cramps.
2. Lack of Exercise: This would be the last thing on your mind and most women believe that one should not exercise when on period. Contrary to the popular belief, a healthy exercise regimen can help to decrease your menstrual cramps. Some research has also shown that elevating your heart rate helps manage the psychological and physical symptoms associated with PMS. Exercise can help boost your mood and decrease bloating. Indulge in light exercises like yoga or walking.
3. Lack of Sleep: Sleep deprivation leads to stress which then leads to cortisol, also known as stress hormone, being released. A hormonal imbalance can lead to heavier and more painful periods. Aim to get at least seven hours of shut eye.
4. Stress: Not only does it worsens menstrual pain, but it can worsen mood changes. Avoid getting stressed as much as possible. Indulge in activities that will elevate your mood like listening to music, spending time with your loved ones, a warm bath or even playing with your pet.
5. Excess Caffeine Consumption: Coffee can dehydrate you and can also potentially irritate the uterus and increase cramping. Although if you are a coffee addict, don’t skip it completely but limit the consumption in those days.
Have you ever heard a woman being excited to get her period? Obviously, not. But as women we cannot escape the painful monthly ordeal, but we can attempt to make it better. Try these tips to reduce the period cramps. Let us know in comments if these tips help you conquer the day when Ms Flo in town. Good luck!
(The above story first appeared on LatestLY on Jun 27, 2018 05:20 PM IST. For more news and updates on politics, world, sports, entertainment and lifestyle, log on to our website latestly.com).