Venezuelan President Nicholas Maduro Sworn In for Second Term Amid Increasing Criticism
Venezuelan President Nicholas Maduro (Photo Credits: Twitter/ @NicolasMaduro)

Caracas, January 10: Nicholas Maduro has been sworn in as Venezuelan President for the second term by the nation’s Supreme Court, despite the international criticism that his re-election was illegitimate. The 56-year-old leader is being sworn in at the Supreme Court before heading to a ceremony at Venezuela's military academy. Venezuela's Leader Nicholas Maduro Survives Assassination Attempt, Explosive Drones Go Off During His Speech, Watch Video.

13 countries including the United States, European Union said last week that they will not recognise Maduro as president. The 56-year-old leader has dismissed talk of foul play and said: "opponents must leave us alone to govern". Earlier, Venenzula Top Court judge Christian Zerpa fled to the US citing that the election was "not free and fare."

The US National Security Adviser John Bolton on Thursday tweeted that, "The US will not recognize the Maduro dictatorship’s illegitimate inauguration. We will continue to increase pressure on the corrupt regime, support the Democratic National Assembly, and call for democracy and freedom in Venezuela." Venezuela President Nicolas Maduro Ties Opposition Leader to Drone Attack.

"I assume with greater responsibility and commitment the new presidential term of 2019-2025. We will win!" Maduro tweeted shortly before the ceremony.

Maduro was first elected in 2013 after the death of Hugo Chavez who died of cancer. Since taking the presidency he has faced criticism for alleged human right abuses and poor handling of the economy. The country economy is damaged by skyrocketing inflation which rose to 1.7m per cent in last year. According to the US, nearly 2.3 million Venezuelans have fleed from the country because of financial hardship.