LEGO is a very popular game that has been played by almost all kids in their childhood. But as much fun it is to make and break these structures, kids also have a tendency to swallow the pieces. So it is of utmost importance to be careful around kids who are playing with LEGO. Although the game box comes with a statutory warning of swallowing leading to hazardous effects, some researchers decided to try it out. A group of pediatric doctors from the University of Melbourne tested the warning by swallowing 6 pieces of LEGO toy heads. Autistic Boy Builds World's Largest Lego Titanic Replica.
The main aim was to find if the toys stay within the body or get excreted from the body. Pediatric doctors have to commonly deal with cases of children swallowing some of the smaller toy pieces every now and then. Talking about this experiment Dr Tessa Davis, a consultant was quoted to Live Science, "This study was a bit of fun in the run-up to Xmas. But actually, we get children presenting to the emergency department every day with ingested foreign objects." 'Distracted Boyfriend' Meme Recreated With Lego by a Photographer, View Pic.
The doctors were unaware of exactly what could happen if the foreign body enters the system of the body and thus decided to take it upon themselves to find out. They swallowed a single piece from LEGO and maintained a "stool diary" to monitor their digestive system and bowel movements. All the doctors excreted the LEGO pieces and declared their experiment as a successful one. A report on the same has been published in a scientific journal which calls the experiment as a ‘dedication to pediatrics’.
Check Tweet Which Talks About the LEGO Swallowing Experiment
Questions: if six paediatric doctors ingest a lego head, how many of them will find it again?
Yup, we did it. All in the name of science (and @DFTBubbles).
— Tessa Davis (@TessaRDavis) November 23, 2018
The doctors have concluded that swallowing of the small toy parts may not be really harmful to an adult. However, considering small kids and their digestive system which is not fully developed, it can be dangerous. According to one of the documented researches, about 80% of 1,00,000 cases are of children, who visit the doctor for ingesting non-edible items.